diy : refurbished wall art
As our Instagram posts will attest, we've been working hard on pulling together our dining room, which has involved a lot of diy projects. I mean A LOT! Because our amazing eichler is somewhat of a blank slate, I wanted to pull in character to the room. And since I absolutely love antiquing & combing through the flea market, I settled on two old pieces that I refurbished into wall art.
This is the joy I feel while antiquing! And also the reason I limit myself to the number of flea markets I'm allowed to browse.
The first is this window frame that I found at the alamada flea market for $10. The windows themselves were broken, so the seller gave me a great price on it. I brought it home (to an eye roll from my loving husband) & carefully removed the glass out by cutting away the caulking. I washed the dirt off of the frame, lightly scrubbing with a brush & careful not to remove any of the paint. Next, we simply measured the inserts & cut pieces of plywood to fit into where the glass was previously. I bought this chalkboard paint from Home Depot & painted the wood. Once it dried, we stapled the wood pieces to the back of the window & voila! we were done. It was one of our quicker diy's and I absolutely love it. Plus it's perfect for calling out cocktails & the menu for dinner parties (just so we can feel fancy!).
Next up, the barrel! This was a really easy one, but definitely requires two people. I was inspired by this barrel from pottery barn, which is gorgeous and you can absolutely opt for instead of making your own... but I wanted to personalize it & found this barrel at the alamada flea market for $40. We decided to cut the barrel using a skil saw right behind the first ring so there would be no splitting. This means our barrel protrudes about 8 inches from the wall, but by balancing it with decor of varying widths, it looks proportional and gives great depth to the space. Next, we added an easy wire hanger on the back to make it really easy to both hang & make sure it was level. All in, we spent $45 on this diy!
Next up, I'll be adding a personalized stamp to the face of the barrel from our wedding, so stay tuned for the final reveal!