whole 30 egg muffins
I’ve done whole 30 twice, and both times this meal was something I wanted to try. I eat breakfast at my desk at work (I hope I’m not the only person who does that…), and this seemed easy to re-heat, which makes it all the more appealing. And of course, it can be whole 30 compliant. I am not an expert in the kitchen but this recipe was easy enough for even me :)
You'll need the following items/ingredients. This is a GREAT recipe to go ahead and do on a Sunday afternoon, then put into a container to take to work or store in your fridge/freezer.
whole 30 egg muffins
makes roughly 6 servings; a muffin tray's worth (12), and I suggest a serving size of two "muffins"
- Muffin pan
- 4 whole eggs, 4 egg whites
- ½ pound sausage (look for sausage with no sugar- it’s out there)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped peppers (i opted for roasted red peppers)
- ½ cup chopped spinach or kale (i used frozen spinach)
- 1 Teaspoon chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Follow the steps below and you're all set for a few days of breakfast for 2 people!
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly grease muffin cups (I used olive oil but there are other Whole 30 approved options)
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with a little olive oil and cook the sausage (I bought sausage in casing; simply remove the casing and crumble with wooden spoon in the skillet)
- I then transferred the sausage to a medium bowl and dabbed it with a towel to soak up some of the grease. I drained the skillet a bit and put it back over medium heat, then added spinach and onion until both were soft/cooked.
- Chop the red peppers
- Beat the eggs/egg whites in a separate large bowl, then add all ingredients and mix
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cups (filled to just below the top of each cup)
- Bake until knife comes out clean (~25 minutes in my oven)
- Pop them out easily with a butter knife, and serve for brunch or wrap up and refrigerate (keeps in fridge for up to 5 days)
For a non-whole 30 version, i would totally add some feta cheese to these!